Pyrsogianni (Greek: Πυρσόγιαννη) is a village in the Ioannina regional unit, northern Greece. It is situated on a mountain slope on the right bank of the river Sarantaporos. It is in the municipal unit of Mastorochoria, and it was the seat of the former municipality Mastorochoria. In 2001 its population was 377. The Greek National Road 20 (Ioannina - Konitsa - Kozani) passes east of the village. It is 4 km northwest of Kastania, 20 km northeast of Konitsa and 60 km north of Ioannina.
Year Village population
About the village
The village includes the town hall of the Municipality of Mastorochoria and the Police Station of the region (mostly devoted to border guard duties). Visitors to the village will find also restaurants and coffee shops. The central spot of the village is the Pyrsogianni Hotel, which was built with the donations of the villagers. "The Brotherhood of Pyrsogianni" is a local organization that has to demonstrate remarkable projects. The most important sight of the village is the stone-built church of Agios Georgios, with an impressive bell tower. We should not forget also the new Ethnological Museum of Stonemasons, which is housed on the ground floor of the old stone school that was built in 1927.
List of settlements in the Ioannina regional unit
Mastorochoria (in Greek)
Pyrsogianni at the GTP Travel Pages
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License