Kryoneri (Greek, Modern: Κρυονέρι, Ancient/Katharevousa: ον meaning cold water) is a Greek mountainous village located west of Karditsa in the western part of the Karditsa Prefecture. Kryoneri is in the municipal unit of Nevropoli Agrafon. Kryoneri had a population of 692 for the village and 818 for the municipal district in 2001. Kryoneri is located 22 km from the city of Karditsa. Its residents are based in agriculture.
The area is in the mountainous area of Agrafa northeast of the artificial Lake Plastiras. The village is founded east of the present site and was known as Tsifliki. It is one of the few villages of the area where the population are mainly (it has a public school) where the village is in a neuralgic spot and where the younger generation remain and raise families. It helps a lot in its area.
Year Village population Municipal district population
1981 610 -
1991 631 -
2001 692 818
After World War II and the Greek Civil War, the population steadily declined as residents moved to larger towns and cities and the richest countries in the world. The population grew slowly between 1981 and 2001 but residents work in agriculture and other places around the area.
Electricity arrived in the 1960s, it was linked with pavement in the late-20th century, television arrived in the 1980s.
The village is founded northeast of where the village was founded. The village that time settled in Kryoneri. Others think that a large portion of the population was founded near the famous olive areas where later with the construction of the lake. The new village in the present site was named Stougko or Stoungo (Στούγκο) from stug, a Turkish name. In the treaty of Tamasi in 1525, the area and in Agrafa was administered autonomously (except for the name Agrafa) in which its inhabitants were never recorded by the Sultans' records. The area began to move to the field near Kryoneri and the population moved and in that village, it was famous as "Mega Stoungo". Agrafa joined Greece during the Greek War of Independence in 1821 and not until 1881 when the present-day Karditsa prefecture finally joined Greece. After 1923, it had 102 families and lived along in Stougko and bought the price of the village. The village was renamed to its current name Kryoneri in 1935.
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License