3524 : Statue of Aphrodite. Parian marble.
Copyright ©. Photo : www.hellenicaworld.com
Found at Baiai in southern Italy. It formerly belonged to the collection
of Lord Hope and was donated to the National Museum by M. Embeirikos in
1924. The neck, head and right arm were restored by the famous
Italian sculptor A. Canova (1757-1822).
Aphrodite is depicted standing, nude save for a richly draped himation which
she retains with her left hand in front of her pudenda.
Version made in the 2nd cent. A.D. of the type of the Syracuse Aphrodite,
the original of which goes back to the 4th cent. B.C.
Sculpture in the National Archaeological Museum, Athens , Nikolaos Kaltsas
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire