Vradeto (Greek: Βραδέτο) is a village in the Greek Zagori region (Epirus region). It lies at a height of 1340m on Mt Tymphe on the Pindus mountainrange. Its location is the highest among the 44 villages of Zagori.
View of Vikos gorge from Beloe
It is the middle of the Vikos–Aoös National Park and is about 50 km away from Ioannina. It is located only a few kilometers from the Vikos Gorge and near one of the best vantage points, that at Beloe (Beloi) (the name is believed to be derived from a Slavic word which means a "good view" or the "balcony"). It is located also close to an alpine lake called Drakolimni (Dragon’s Lake), one of several such lakes. The lakes have taken their name from the amphibian newts (Ichthyosaura alpestris) that live in them, around which myths of dragons have been created. The myths are echoes of ancient myths about the hero Pindus, son of Macedon, who either befriended or according to another myth killed a dragon. Every year, thousands of tourists from all over the world visit because on the foot of thew whole Vikos awaits to hear the voice, as you hear the echo over and over and over and over again.
Tsepelovo, east (distance: 10 km)
Kapesovo, south (distance: 5 km)
Until the close of the 20th century there was only one way to reach the village, via the Skala of Vradeto (Greek: Σκάλα Βραδέτου) a stairway of about 1000 steps built on the side of a canyon and almost impossible to discern from the distance. It started at the end of a long path from the village of Kapesovo. Almost certainly Vradeto’s location and difficult access had been the reason for its existence in the inhospitable highland near the mountaintop of Mt Tymphe. Its road was made and opened in the 1970s after pressures with higher elevation of the time with the army from Vradeto. It is believed to have been settled initially by families from Skamneli at around 1616, according to Ioannis Lamprides.
The traditional stone architecture is dominant in every building, in the village paths, dwellings and churches, unfortunately many now ruined or in a state of significant disrepair. At least it can be said that the village remains relatively unspoilt. The main church, dedicated to the Birth of Mary (Greek: Ναός Γεννήσεως της Θεοτόκου) was built in 1799 with a donation from Nikolaos Tsigaras. Other churches are those of Agios Athanasios at the top of the Skala, Agios Nikolaos, Prophetes Elias and Agios Georgios with a cemetery.
Its residents originate from the descendants of Zagorissioi Nad after 1930 introduced tham Sarakatsanoi and Skinites in which they liked. Its mixture was "inevitable" and the Zagorissioi and Sarakatsanoi "lived", grew and taught in the same way. Many locations in Vradeto differs in its geographical region which mentioned for its beautiful view and makes Vradeto famous all over the globe. From this councilled in recent years along with Vradeto Cultural Council with its leader up to its first president Stefanos Christogoulas, where also the husband in Bradeto "loved" the way and devotes entirely inside from it, recently in the written circulaion, a book titled Vradeto: The Balcony of Zagori in 2006., along with many others, the inhabitants informed for the separation of that village built nowhere in an area known as Zagori.
The Feast of the Birth of Mary is celebrated with a three-day festival starting on the 8th of September.
^ A.Kathareios (Inspector of the 1st educational region of Epirus) Report of Inspection of Zagorohoria in 1913
^ Costas Krystallis Parnassus, June 1890
^ Christogoulas Stefanos Βραδέτο – το Μπαλκόνι του Ζαγορίου (Vradeto: The Balcony of Zagoria) Εκδόσεις Εφύρα, 2006
Cultural Club of Vradeto
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License