Vasiliki lies on a small hill in the north of the Ierapetra isthmus.
Vasiliki was first excavated 1903-1906 by American archaeologist R. B. Seager. Nicolas Platon continued excavations in 1953. In 1970, A. A. Zois began meticulous work that lasted until 1982, and returned to the site again in 1990 to continue the work.
The Minoan village was in use from EMIIA to LMIA. A nearby tomb from LMIII was once discovered, but the location has not been rediscovered.
The site includes houses, many Vasiliki-ware pottery finds and a paved courtyard.
Swindale, Ian http://www.uk.digiserve.com/mentor/minoan/vasiliki.htm Retrieved 2 February 2006
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License