Traianoupoli (Greek: Τραϊανούπολη) is a former municipality in the Evros regional unit, East Macedonia and Thrace, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform it is part of the municipality Alexandroupoli, of which it is a municipal unit. Population 3,335 (2001). The seat of the municipality is in Antheia.
Division of the municipality
- Antheia / Δ.δ. Ανθείας [ 1308 ]
- Dorikon / Δ.δ. Δωρικού [ 413 ]
- Loutros / Δ.δ. Λουτρού [ 1148 ]
- Nipsa / Δ.δ. Νίψης -- η Νίψα [ 466 ]
Hana is an impressive baths building of the Roman period, renovated by the Ottoman Gazi Evrenos.
The city was first founded by the Romans and was named after Trajan. In the Roman period, the city was famous for its baths. In the 4th century, it became the capital of the province of Rhodope. The city was later ruled by the Byzantines and the Ottomans, during that period the Roman baths were renovated by the Ottoman Gazi Evrenos and became known as Hana. The area came under Bulgarian rule after the Balkan Wars and was ceded to Greece in the Treaty of Neuilly (1919).
List of settlements in the Evros regional unit
Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Traianoupoli
^ Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Interior (Greek)
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License