- Art Gallery -

Administrative Region : Epirus
Regional unit : Preveza

Stefani (Στεφάνη) Preveza

Stefani is a village in the municipal unit of Louros, Preveza Regional Unit, Greece. Stefani was known in the past as Kantza. Stefani had a population of 513 in 2001. It is located north of the GR-21 (Filippiada - Preveza) and west of the GR-5/E55 (Patras - Antirrio - Agrinio - Ioannina) and will be linked with the Ionia Odos. In Stefani is the church Agios Athanasios originally from the 17th century, repaired two times after destructions by fire.


Location

Stefani is located west of Filippiada and Arta, northeast of Preveza, east-northeast of Louros and south-southeast of Ioannina.

Geography

The village is in the north side of the Ambracian Gulf and the Louros river. Much of the area are mountains, it contains a small valley that are mainly consists of groves and other farms. Forests are not far from the village. In the east, it is hidden by Profitis Ilias, west by the Ypsoma Randos and Zalogo. The main power line connecting Preveza and southwestern Greece and Ioannina and northern Epirus runs to the mountain slope.

History

The village is first mentioned by the historian George Finlay as the Kantza narrows, when the Souliotes sent aid to Peta and were attacked by the Turks there in August 1822 during the Greek War of Independence. The village remained under Ottoman rule until the First Balkan War. North the village features the ruins of ancient Batia (Βάτια) which was settled by the Eleans in the 7th century BC. Geographically, it lies within the ancient region of Kassope (Κασσώπη).

In the nicer part of Stefani features stone-pyrite remains from the Middle Paleolithic Age (around 40000-24000 BC, it was located in the area of the Hellenistic fortress first constructed in 323-321 BC), a Roman water tower of Nikopolis (31 AD and later). They are preserved in the Archaeological Museum of Ioannina. Around Stefani objects such as arrowheads or axes have been found from the period 1300/1000 BC (Treasure of Stefani).

After World War II and the Greek Civil War, the village was extensively rebuilt. Its population also declined but recently grew and nearly doubled between the 1991 and the 2001 census.

Much of the houses were stone built until the 1960s. Electricity arrived in the same year. Vehicles arrived in the 1970s, the pavement of the main road and television arrived in the 1980s and computer and internet are rarely known in the beginning of the 21st century and up to date technology are rarely seen.

Other

Stefani has a school, a lyceum (middle school) a gymnasium (secondary school), churches, banks, shops and a square (plateia).

Greece :

A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M -
N - O - P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License

Ancient Greece

Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire

Modern Greece

Science, Technology , Medicine , Warfare, , Biographies , Life , Cities/Places/Maps , Arts , Literature , Philosophy ,Olympics, Mythology , History , Images

Science, Technology, Arts, , Warfare , Literature, Biographies, Icons, History

Cities, Islands, Regions, Fauna/Flora ,Biographies , History , Warfare, Science/Technology, Literature, Music , Arts , Film/Actors , Sport , Fashion

Greece

World

Index

Hellenica World