Protokklisi (Greek: Modern: Πρωτοκκλήσι meaning the first church, Bulgarian: Башклисе) is a village in the central part of the Evros regional unit in Greece. Protoklissi is in the municipal unit of Orfeas. In 2001 its population was 669 for the village and 1,120 for the municipal district, including the village Agriani. Protokklisi is located about 15 km northwest of Soufli, in the valley of a right tributary of the river Evros.
Year Village population Municipal district population
1981 - 1,230
1991 672 -
2001 669 1,120
The village was founded by the Ottoman Turks, it was known as Başkilise in Turkish, (Башклисе Bašklise in Bulgarian). In 1830, it had 100 Bulgarian families, in 1878 and 1912 (according to Lyubomir Miletich) the village had 100 Bulgarian families. After a brief period of Bulgarian rule between 1913 and 1919, it became part of Greece. As a result its Bulgarian and Turkish population was exchanged with Greek refugees, mainly from today's Turkey.
Pano Angelov (Пано Ангелов, 1879–1903), Bulgarian revolutionary leader
List of settlements in the Evros regional unit
Protoklissi on GTP Travel Pages
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License