Recently Added Images 

- Art Gallery -

 

 

.

Administrative Region : North Aegean
Regional unit : Limnos

Lychna (Greek: Λύχνα) is a Greek settlement 25 km ENE of Myrina in the municipality of Moudros, Lemnos island, Greece. Its 2001 population was 132 people. Its elevation is 10 m.

Lychna, Windmill in Lychna,

Settlement

* Anemoessa (2001 pop: 206)


Nearest places

* Repanidi, ENE (distance: 6 km)
* Romano, southeast
* Varos, northwest (distance: 4 km)


Population
Year Village Municipal district
1921 - 318
1981 120 -
1991 137 -
2001 132 338

Location and transportation

The village has about 3 to 4 km of paved road and 3 km of gravel road and has about 4 km of hydro and phone lines.


View Larger Map

Geography

Much of the area are mountainous and are also forested with pine, cypresses and cedars, farmlands are around the village and barren land are at the highest elevations. Other than agriculture, grove and salt production is common, it has several hotel beds.

Name and location

Lychna is built on a low rocky hill in a area about a kilometer from the shoreline of the Gulf of Moudros.

According to a tradition, its name is derived from a small lamp of the houses, in which the sailors saw which embarked nightly into the gulf, as the village was the first where the deep was seen. It did not knew later atht it had some lighthouse in which derived from its toponym, on the English maps of the sailorman meant that that a small cape which was located in the east of the coast, next to the cheese factory with the name Akra Likhna.

The village was mentioned for the first time in 1785 by the French traveller Choiseul-Gouffier. In the name it was read from a paper: Taligna (ta Lychna, τα Λύχνα) in which it meant the nearby cape as Cap Blanc (akr. Lefko, ακρ. Λευκό, White Cape). It also meant in traveller's maps including Conze (1850, Talihna) and De Launay (1898, Talikna). Later, Friedrich in 1904 correctly mentioned as Lychna in 1904.

History

In the 19th century, the village was united and had sources in its communal writings. In 1856, the population had 16 men between 18 and 60 and paid 2,272 gros. In 1874, it had 50 Christian families. In the same year, it had 67 houses.

Its residents that brought were farmers and grove farmers were mostly worked in Asia Minor as builders in craftsmanship. In the early 20th century, it was mentioned in Pergamum that the craftsmanship of Nestoras Tsolissou and Koubelari from Lychna.

Outside the villages, near the cemetery has a water spring. In the village which headed partly from the French military corps during the First World War.

After the Turkish Rule, it functioned a post office in the village, in which survives a stamp with the date 16-9-1912 and was written LYCHNA (MOUDROS), one of the villages that became a part of the municipality of Moudros.

In 1912, Lychna was an independent commune. In the interwar period, the village for sometime had 318 people in 1928. After the war, due to the emigration, its population in 1981 dropped to 120. Many of its inhabitants moved to Athens, in which has a Lychnioti council there

In 1970, the school had only five children and attended at Varous School. Later, it continued to operated for several more years, it was closed in around 1995.

In 1991, the community of Lychna added the new settlement of Anemoesa with its 2001 population of 338 people.

Points of interest

In 1865, the church of Saint Demetrius (James) was built. In 1905 with the council by immigrants in the US: K. Hletsou, K. Alexandrou, D. Kiriakou and A. Kriari brought $456 to build a church. In 1924, it roofed the outer vestibule in one carved stones. Two carved columns with artistic column capitals that came from an older church. The church was decorated by Grigorios Papamalis in 1940.

Due to a small population, it never ran a communal school in the village. Its students attend in nearby schools in Romano and Varous. In 1910, it created a near beautiful school building in an approximate spot that spended by Dimitrios G. Makris from Egypt. The same made its own water tower. It founded a public school with 35 students. Later, the school had several students including Spyros Moustakas (1949–55) and Iraklis Kondelis (1955–65).

A windmill which was constructed and is located in a nearby hill by the village's coastline.

People

* The famous icon of Lemnos Nikolaos Dallis which he was rich in Egypt and in 1910 he was bankrupt, he had a movable lever and was president of Lemnian Brotherhood of Alexandria. Its school was received 1.5 acres (6,100 m2) and became a school garden.
* The teacher Charalambos Karapanagiotis, he tauche in schools in Thrace, Varos in Moudros and in Athens. During World War II, he was a member of the resistance port chief and martyr Ioannis Arvanitakis.
* The priest and teacher Panagiotis Kontaridis attended a school in Smyrna (now Izmir).? He also attended in Tsimandria (1903–04) and Plaka (1905–10) and several others.

Greece :

A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M -
N - O - P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z

Ancient Greece

Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire

Modern Greece

Science, Technology , Medicine , Warfare, , Biographies , Life , Cities/Places/Maps , Arts , Literature , Philosophy ,Olympics, Mythology , History , Images

Science, Technology, Arts, , Warfare , Literature, Biographies, Icons, History

Cities, Islands, Regions, Fauna/Flora ,Biographies , History , Warfare, Science/Technology, Literature, Music , Arts , Film/Actors , Sport , Fashion

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License

Greece

World

Index

Hellenica World