Kyprinos (Greek: Κυπρίνος) is a town and a former municipality in the Evros peripheral unit, East Macedonia and Thrace, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform it is part of the municipality Orestiada, of which it is a municipal unit. Its 2001 population was 1,157 for the village and 2,915 for the municipal unit. Kyprinos is located southwest of Edirne, Turkey, west-northwest of Orestiada, north of Alexandroupoli and about 5 to 6 km east of Kurdzhali and the Bulgarian frontier. Athens is approximately 1,050 km to the southwest. Komara is on the other side of the river Ardas.
The Turkish name of Kyprinos was at first "Simavna", after "Sarihadir". Kyprinos was once called "Sarihadir" what means "yellow Hadir". Hadir is Hidir who was an Islamic religious figure. His holiday was celebrated at the same day the Greek Christian Saint St. George's holiday was celebrated (April, 23rd). St. George was and still is the guardian Saint of the village Kyprinos and also its church' name-giver. So the Turkish just interpreted Kyprinos as the village with the yellow church -which indeed was made out of yellow stones- meaning St. George, whom they considered to be something like the religious person whom they knew as Hadir. The church is still there down in the valley and can be visited at any time. When the great flood of the 1920s destroyed every house of the village which at that time was also located in the valley not a single building resisted its power except for that church. The Greek name "Kyprinos" means "carp". It is not clear whether that name was given to the village because of the carps found in the nearby Ardas river or for some other reasons.
The name is rendered in Bulgarian as Саръхадър, Sarahadar.
Division of the municipality
- Kyprinos / Δ.δ. Κυπρίνος [ 1157 ]
- Kyprinos / ο Κυπρίνος [ 1157 ]
- Galini / η Γαλήνη [ 0 ]
- Kyprinos / ο Κυπρίνος [ 1157 ]
- Zoni / Δ.δ. Ζώνης [ 811 ]
- Fylakio / Δ.δ. Φυλακίου [ 947 ]
Ammovouno is a small village in North Evros. The population are mainly Gagauz people.
Zoni is a small village, named after an ancient place Zoni in the region. Zoni is mentioned as a Thracian city of the Cicones by Herodot. According to Stephanus of Byzantium based on reports of Hecataeus Greek colonists lived in the region since the 6th c. BC. Zoni is mentioned in documents in Athnens of 421 BC. Coins with the inscription ZONAI were found with images of Apollo and Artemis. Various authors refer to Zoni and Orpheus.
Year Town population Municipality population
1981 1,926 -
1991 1,320 3,478
2001 1,157 2,915
Logo and seal
Its logo contains a beautiful blue sky with its setting sun with a forested mountain and hills and foothills. In the middle is the river Arda written in the Greek alphabet, also a swan and two fishes are in the water which is mainly its reservoir. Its rim is coloured yellow and reflects the colour gold. Its Greek form of the municipality is at the bottom along with the Delta-Kappa letter and the founding year. The Greek word for welcome (Kalos Irthate) is at the bottom as well.
The villages of and around Kyprinos are assumed to have been there for many centuries and what can certainly be said is that in the documents of the late 18th century found in different archives, both Greek and Turkish, Kyprinos itself and most of the nearby villages are already mentioned. Even though it is not clear when the first ones were founded since historical sources are rare and barely explicit.
However there is evidence that in the Ancient world there already were settlements in that area. Excavations near the village of Mikri Doxipara - Zoni have brought interesting pieces of ancient Thracian culture (Thrace) into the light. The Tombs found in that place (8 km from Kyprinos, between Zoni and Mikri Doxipara) are estimated to be from the 1st or 2nd century AD.
The modern municipality was founded in 1998 will be celebrating its 10th anniversary of its founding in 2008.
The river of Ardas
The river of Ardas or Arda, after a distance of 216 km from its original source in the mountains of Rhodope enters the Kyprinos territory near the border to Bulgaria close to the village of Galini and reaches from there to the river Evros (Maritsa), flowing along Kyprinos and Filakio. The Ardas river composes an important ecosystem for that area and its forest which is growing corresponding to its river bed. It is a biotope of crucial importance on a regional as well as on a national level.
There is a reservoir dam, the Kyprinos Dam, built in 1969 approximately 8 km from Kyprinos of 350 meters width providing resident farmers with water.
Kyprinos is the Partner-City of Bulgarian Ivaylovgrad
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License