kefalovryso (Greek: Κεφαλόβρυσο, Aromanian: Migidei, Migideia, before 1927: Μετζητιές - Metzities) is a town of about 1,100 in the northern part of the Ioannina regional unit. It was the seat of the municipality of Ano Pogoni. It is situated at the foot of mount Nemertsika, near the Albanian border. It is 3 km west of Vasiliko, 12 km northeast of Delvinaki, 16 km west of Konitsa, 36 km east of Gjirokastër (Albania) and 46 km northwest of Ioannina. Most of the inhabitants are Aromanians, speaking the Aromanian language along with Greek. In Kefalovryso, one can find a primary school, a lyceum, a minor soccer team, a gymnasium, a church, a small post-office and a square in the centre with the town hall of Ano Pogoni.
The Greek newspaper Pigi Kefalovrysou mentioned in an article that in 1840 this village was founded by a lone tselingas (Greek for goatherd) named Nastas (Greek: ο τσέλιγκας Νάστας). Kefalovryso passed from the Ottoman Empire to Greece in 1913, during the Balkan Wars.
List of settlements in the Ioannina regional unit
Kefalovryso private website
^ Name changes of settlements in Greece
Municipalities and communities of the Ioannina Prefecture
Agios Dimitrios | Anatoli | Ano Kalamas | Ano Pogoni | Bizani | Central Zagori | Delvinaki | Lakka Souli / Derviziana | Dodoni | East Zagori | Egnatia | Ekali | Evrymenes | Ioannina | Kalpaki | Katsanochoria | Konitsa | Mastorochoria | Metsovo | Molossoi | Pamvotida | Pasaronas | Perama | Pramanta | Selloi | Tymfi | Tzoumerka | Zitsa
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License