Kavyli (Greek: Καβύλη) is a village in the northern part of the Evros regional unit in Greece. It is part of the municipal unit of Vyssa, which is part of the municipality Orestiada since 2011. In 2001 its population was 1,494. It is bypassed by the Greek National Road 51 (Feres - Soufli - Orestiada - Ormenio). It is 7 km north of the centre of Orestiada, and 4 km southwest of Nea Vyssa.
The village was founded by the Ottoman Turks, it was known as Emirler (Емирлер in Bulgarian). After a brief period of Bulgarian rule between 1913 and 1919, it became part of Greece. As a result its Bulgarian and Turkish population was exchanged with Greek refugees, mainly from today's Turkey. Kavyli joined the municipality of Vyssa in the late 1990s.
List of settlements in the Evros regional unit
Kavyli on GTP Travel Pages
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License