Evgeniko (Greek: Ευγενικό, before 1954: Δελήτιον - Delitio) is a village in the northeastern part of the Evros regional unit in Greece. It is located at the foot of low hills by the side of the river Erythropotamos. Evgeniko is part of the community of Mani within the municipality of Didymoteicho. It is 3.5 km south of Sitochori, 5 km northwest of Mani, 16 km northwest of Didymoteicho and 17 km southwest of Orestiada. Its population was recorded as 133 in the 2001 census.
Originally, the village was located 2 km north, at the Palaiochoria ("old village") site. Its Ottoman name was Delimosluk (Ντελίμοσλουκ) which was eventually corrupted to Delimis (Ντελίμις). The new village was founded in 1922 and renamed to Delitio (Δελήτιο). Due to the benefaction of the shipping magnate Eugenios Eugenidis, who provided for the village's water supply, it was later given its current name.
List of settlements in the Evros regional unit
Evgeniko on GTP Travel Pages
^ Name changes of settlements in Greece
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License