Chrysovitsi (Greek: Χρυσοβίτσι) is a mountain village and a community in the municipal unit of Falanthos, Arcadia, Greece. At the 2001 census its population was 196 for the village, and 263 for the community, which includes the village Mantaiika, 5 km southeast of Chrysovitsi. Built on the slopes of Mainalo at 1,100 m, Chrysovitsi is one of the highest villages in the Peloponnese. It is a traditional settlement since November 23, 1998 (Law 908D) and its code number is 12317201. Chrysovitsi is 4 km southwest of Piana, 7 km northeast of Lykochia, 11 km east of Stemnitsa and 15 km northwest of Tripoli.
The settlement dates back to the 15th century. Around 1700, it was mentioned as Chrissovizzi under the Venetian census and later Xovitzi (Ξοβίτζι). The village was a center of Greek rebellion during the Greek Revolution of 1821. The revolutionary leader Theodoros Kolokotronis grew up in nearby Limpovisi. In 1935, a lumbermill was built, which was operated until 1972. It is now used as a museum by the Forest Council. In 1997, the formerly independent community joined the municipality of Falanthos.
List of settlements in Arcadia
Chrysovitsi at the GTP Travel Pages
Arcadia - Chrysovitsi (Greek)
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License