Chandras (Greek: Χανδράς) is a village in the municipality of Orestiada in the northern part of the Evros regional unit in Greece. It is situated in the low hills between the rivers Ardas and Erythropotamos, about 20 km west of the centre of Orestiada. The nearest larger villages are Megali Doxipara to its southwest and Valtos to its northeast.
Before 1913 it was ruled by the Ottomans. After a brief period of Bulgarian rule between 1913 and 1919, it became part of Greece. As a result its Bulgarian and Turkish population was exchanged with Greek refugees, mainly from today's Turkey.
List of settlements in the Evros regional unit
Chandra on GTP Travel Pages
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License