Odeion of Agrippa and Gymnasium
or Palace of the Giants
Μνημείο του Αγρίππα (Ωδείο του Αγρίππα)
Copyright ©. Photos : Michael Lahanas (Μιχάλης Λαχανάς)
The Odeion of Agrippa, a grand and luxurious building designed for musical performances, is known in the ancient sources as the Odeion , the Kerameikos Theatre or the Agrippeion after its donor, Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa, son-in-law of the Emperor AugustUs.
The central part of the building, which rose as if a separate structure above a surrounding stoa, included an oblong rectangular stage a semicircular orchestra and an auditorium built like an amphitheatre, with space for around 1000 persons.
The entrance for the audience was formed, on the south side o the building by the terrace of the Middle Stoa, whilea small tetrastyle propylon on the north side led directly to the stage area.
The building originally had a pitched roof without interior support which collapsed around A.D. 150.
The the building was reconstructed with the addition of a transverse wall that reduced the seating capacity by almost the half.
The north face took the form of a stoa, the epistyle of which supported six colossal statues of Tritons and Giants.
Four of them lated adorned the Gymnasium or Palace o the Giants, which was built over the remains of the Odeion. The building was destroyed by fire in A.D. 267 in the Herulian invasion.
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire