Atalanti (Greek: Αταλάντη Atalantē) is a town and a former municipality in southeastern Phthiotis, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform it is part of the municipality Lokroi, of which it is the seat and a municipal unit. Atalanti is a known market town, and it was the capital of the former Locris Province. Atalanti is the second largest town in Phthiotis, after Lamia.
The town is accessed with the Greek National Road 1 (Athens - Lamia - Thessaloniki). Atalanti is located southeast of Lamia, north of Livadeia and northwest of Chalcis.
The municipal unit Atalanti is subdivided into the following communities (constituent villages in brackets):
Atalanti (Atalanti, Agios Vlasios, Palirroia, Skala)
Kyparissi (Kyparissi, Efkalyptos)
Tragana (Tragana, Mikrovivos)
Year Town population Municipality population
1940 4,041 -
1981 5,562 -
1991 6,189 10,240
2001 6,127 10,367
Capital of Locris province was the city of Opus. According to Hesiodus and Plutarch, the city of Opus got his name from Opus, who was the son of Locros and great-grandson of Deucalion and Pyrrha. The Locrians from Opus participated in the Trojan War, with 40 battle ships and four thousand warriors. Head of Locrians at the Trojan War was Ajax the Lesser, son of Oileus and grandson of Hodoedocus. Ajax excelled in the Trojan War, but upon his return from Troy he fell into a storm that caused him his inglorious death. From Opus was Achilles’ best friend, Patroclus, son of Menoetius. Patroclus, when he was still a child, killed a nobleman during a game, Clysonymus, son of Amphidamas. Although he was a minor, Patroclus had to leave his place in order to evade revenge. So his father took him to Peleus, who raised him along with Achilles as his own child.
Neolithical tools in Atalanti's Archaiological Museum
The first signs of organized human life in Atalanti’s region can be traced during Neolithic era (7000 BC - 3200/3100 BC) when in this time a town in the valley, near Skala Atalanti is growing. All human activities of Neolithic man can be traced in this area: agriculture, stockbreeding, hunting, and fishing.
In Bronze Age (or Early Helladic Period, in Greek: Πρωτοελλαδική περίοδος) period (3200 -2100 BC) observed growth of trade (both land and sea) and development of pottery. The area of Atalanti was influenced by other places of mainland Greece and the islands. This area, as well as others of this period, was characterized by a hierarchically organized society.
In the Middle Helladic period (in Greek: Μεσοελλαδική περίοδος) (2100 - 1600 BC) villages were destroyed (possibly due to the invasion of other Greek tribes). Because of this, retrograssion, introversion and cultural isolation were noted.
Most possibly in Late Bronze Age (or Late Helladic Period, in Greek: Υστεροελλαδική περίοδος) (between 1600 and 1100 BC) the city of Mycenaean Opus is built. Main occupations of inhabitants were fishing and agriculture (wheat, grain, legumes, olives, grapes are cultivated and wine is produced). During the 11th century BC (Sub Mycenaean period) an economic and population decline is remarked. An abandonment of old villages is accompanied by building new ones. Basic characteristic of this period is the adherence to tradition. Pottery remains the main occupation.
Between 10th and 8th century BC, the regime of Opus is Aristocracy and Oligarchy. Hierarchy is one of the key features of society in that time. It is a society where classes owe their existence primarily to the distinguishment between the different occupations of the inhabitants. Trade and shipping are growing. Opus receives many influences in art from Athens, Corinth, Euboea and Thessaly. A massive production of vases and the blooming of metallurgy (weapons and gold jewelry) are recorded. All these suggest the existence of a prosperous and wealthy society in the region of Locris.
During the Archaic period (700 - 480 BC) the system of government in Opus remains oligarchy with no political controversy. Perhaps we can speak of a "conservative democracy" since there were no slaves in Locris. The main occupations of the inhabitants are still agriculture, livestock (mainly cattle), fishing, pottery and wine production.
Finds of Classical period in Atalanti's Arcaiological Museum
In the Classical Period (second quarter of 5th century BC - 323 BC) and more specifically during the Peloponnesian War (431 - 404 BC) the Locrians are in the side of Sparta (leader of the Peloponnesian League). The Athenians attack and destroy the coastal cities of Locris. In 431 BC they fortify the island of Atalanti (or Atalantonisi or Talantonisi) in order to curb the activities of Locrians pirates and to ensure the safety of the coast of Euboea. But an earthquake in 426 BC destroyed part of the walls and the fortress that were built in Atalantonisi.
Hellenistic and Roman Period
During Hellenistic period (336 or 323 BC - middle of 1st century BC) a new earthquake in 300 BC destroys part of Opus. In 204 BC, the Roman general Gaius Flaminius seizes Opus, but in 197 BC he gives back independence to the Locrians. In 165 BC, the "Common of Locris" is founded. Another earthquake in 106 BC destroys Opus, but it is rebuilt again. The end of the Hellenistic period seals the raid of Sulla (Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix) in the area in 87/86 BC. Throughout this period Opus remains a mainly rural economy. At the same time, Atalanti is the main center of pottery production in the district. The invasion of Sulla prompted many residents of the cities of Locris to abandon their villages during the Roman period (30 BC - 324 AD). Population mostly moves to the settlements of Opus and Kynos. In the area, large privately owned land (farms) are created. In Atalanti, public baths and an aqueduct are built.
Early Christian Period
During the Early Christian Times, the Diocess of Opus is founded (Ecumenical Synod or Council in Ephesus in 431 and in Chalcedon in 451 under the Diocese of Corinth. In years 376 and 395-397 Goths and Visigoths invade (under Alaric I) in the area which seriously affects the local economy. Regression and in some cases abandonment of coastal settlements occurs.
Roman column in Atalanti's Arcaiological Museum
In 565 (during the Byzantine years of Justinian I) the name "Talanti" was first mentioned. Sources between 7th and 10th century are few because of the "Iconoclasm" that had broken out in this period. In the 9th century Arabs raids in the area and in the 10th century and Bulgarians (under Simeon I of Bulgaria) also attack Locris. In 1204, the "Barony Atalanti"  was founded from the Frankish ruler Boniface of Montferrat as a part of the Duchy of Athens and one of the four major ports, and it was based in Talanti (La Calandri). The 13th century Atalanti is found with the Latin name «Talantum». The management of the area is according to the feudal patterns of the time as a small city-state. In 1311, the Duchy of Athens fell into the hands of Catalans mercenaries (Catalan Company) after the victorious battle of Copais. In 1319, the Duchy fell into the hands of the Sicilians. In 1380, Navarians make raids against the Catalans of Atalanti. In 1385, the provenance of Phthiotis fell into the hands of the Serbs, except Atalanti. In 1388, the region of Locris passed into the hands of a family from Florence, Acciaioli, ending the Catalan domination. In 1393, the Diocese of Talanti was established in Talanti (Atalanti). The same year the Turkish people begin their raids. The Duchy of Athens was abolished by the Ottoman Turks in 1458, and that lead to the enslavement of Atalanti and all Locris in general.
According to the census of 1466, in Atalanti live 248 families, 18 single and 22 widows, which all were Christians. In the census of 1506, there were 449 Christian homes and 13 Ottoman. In 1521 were recorded 435 Christian homes in Atalanti  and 30 Ottoman, while the total taxes paid by residents were 33,541 “aspra” - whites (silver Ottoman coin). The residents of Atalanti did not pay any taxes, while their children were free from the mass forced recruiting of children in the Ottoman army, in order to join the Janissaries (in Greek:Παιδομάζομα, in Turkish: devşirme). In return, the inhabitants of Atalanti had to protect the narrow sea and the coast when pirates attack  with their 7 armed horsemen.
These privileges were maintained by residents of Atalanti up until 1571. According to the census of that year there were 622 Christian homes in Atalanti and 77 Ottomans. That made it the largest settlement across Locris, with a population of about 3000 people. This also explains the upgrading of Atalanti which during the next century included the surrounding villages. Main occupations of the inhabitants were agriculture (cereals, viticulture), cultivation of flax, cotton and vegetables, as well as the apiaries and livestock.
In 1688, during the Ottoman–Venetian war, Kourmas and Bishop of Amfissa Philotheos temporarily seized Atalanti. The same year, plague breaks out in Atalanti. The Turks reclaimed the city in a short time. Several families  -in fear of retaliation, resort in the Venetian Peloponnese between 1691 and 1697. Knowledge about the period of the 18th and early 19th century is limited and it is mostly based on reports by that time travelers.
One of them, William Martin Leake visited Atalanti in 1805 and he wrote: "There are 300 houses in the town, one third of which is Turkish. Some of the houses are big and surrounded by a garden. They seem very pretty from a far distance. But most of them are abandoned and ruined, partly because of a plague that wiped out entire families a few years ago. The ruler is Isset Bey, a son of Kapicilar Kahyasi of Ali Pasha. The Greek neighborhood is separated from the Turkish. The Bishop of Atalanti which comes under the Bishop of Athens is the head of the Greek community and has a sustainable house, with a garden of orange, lemon and other fruit trees. A garden, that despite of its ferocity, is the best place here, something extraordinary in that area. The valley is very fertile, but not cultivated, because of the absence of people. In low parts of the area, towards the sea, corn, excellent wheat, grapes from which they make a tolerable wine and a few olives grow perfectly. The average wage here is the same as that one in Athens and Livadeia. The administrative area includes thirty to forty villages, most of them very small, and not fully inhabitant, since most of their residents migrate to areas of Livadeia and Athens, since Ali Pasha took over the place. Incomes are now in the hands of Veli, who is trying to bring back immigrants, promising tax cuts."  Another traveler, the French Francois Pouqueville (between 1806 and 1816) reports: "Atalanti is built on the foothills of Mount Chlomos. Two mosques and a church are the only remarkable things you can see. The importance of the city is that twenty one villages depend on it." 
According to other sources  in 1800 in Talanti (Atalanti) lived more than 200 families of Ottomans in their own settlement (in Greek: Τουρκομαχαλάς, Tourkomachala) in the western part of town. There were also located the Turkish ruler of the area (Voivodas), the Turkish treasurer (Khaznadar-Agha), the Turkish judge (Kadis or Katis) and a small Turkish guarδ (about 150 men).
Kotzampasides (Greek people that worked together with the Ottomans) of Talanti were: Lambros Alexandrou (later renamed Evmolpidis), Constantinos Sakellion and Alexis Michalis.
Nicolaos Metaxas or Neophytos of Athens was ordained Bishop of Talanti in 1803.
Since 1810 in Atalanti the Ottoman doctor Hasan Agha Kourtalis offers his services to both Greeks and Ottomans without any discrimination.
Atalanti during the Greek Revolution of 1821
In 1821, Anthony Kontosopoulos with 1000 armed Locrians sieged and set free the city of Atalanti on March 31, 1821 with the help of Lambros Eleftheriou and the rest of the residents of the city.
In the winter of that same year, the Turkish army under the Omer Vrioni and Mehmet Kiosses passing through Atalanti take prisoners the remaining inhabitants and burn down all the houses. Those who managed to survive find shelter in Atalantonisi. The next year, Atalanti will be burned again by the Turkish troops that were passing through the region and a plague will fall on Atalantonisi.
In the Second National Assembly at Astros in 1823 Bishop Neophytos of Talanti and attorney Lambros Alexandrou represent the area. Provincial Governor of Talanti was placed Ioannis Filon. In 1824 the Turkish fleet occupies Atalantonisi, destroying its facilities, slaughters and captures those who had taken refuge there.
Between 5th and November 9, 1826 the Battle of Atalanti takes place. Anastasios Karatassos, Angelis Gatsos and Olivier Voutier lead 1500 Macedonians warriors. But Mustafa Bey went from Livadeia to Atalanti with an army of few thousand men (infantry and horsemen) and surprises the Greek guards. After a fierce battle, the Greeks retreated having lost 42 men on the battlefield.
In Atalanti were located gunpowder storehouses of vital importance for the supply of the Turks. They were guarded by two hundred Ottomans.
In 1826 Georgios Karaiskakis’s attempt to set it on fire failed. The next year Karaiskakis placed a guard with his men, in Atalanti, under Spyros Xidis. Another attempt by Ioannis Kolettis in 1827, to take over Atalanti will also fail. The final liberation of Atalanti came on November 6th , 1828. Mitros Liakopoulos (from Kato Milia, Pieria), attacks surprisingly and releases the city.
Atalanti after Liberation
In Atalanti in 1831 were founded: a Primary School (first teacher was D. Manasidis from Samos), a County court, a Notary, Tax Authorities, Fund, a Tobacco Factory, Customs, Forestry and Post Office.
In 1833 the city was included in the prefecture of Fokida and Locris. First Prefect was Ioannis Amvrosiadis and District Officer was Anagnostis Mostras. A Diocese of Locris is established (from the dioceses of Mendenitsa and Talanti), under Bishop Agathangelos Myrianthousis. That same year Macedonians fighters, fought during the revolution of 1821 start to settle permanently in Atalanti.
On January 10th, 1834 was established by Law the City of Atalanti, including outside the Atalanti, the villages: Skala, Skenteraga (Megaplatanos), Kyparissi, Kolaka, Bogdanos, Exarchos and Drouskos. First elected mayor in 1836 was Efstathios Spyridonos.
In December 1836 arrives at Atalanti Konstantinos D. Vellios, a benefactor of the Macedonians settlers. While in 1837 is decided by Royal Decree to form the Municipality of "Pella" in Atalanti for the Macedonians settlers.
St. Theodore Church - The Cathedral of Atalanti, located in the central square of the town
In 1843 Greek School was founded (Boarding) and in 1857 a Primary School for Girls. In 1855 the Cathedral of St. Theodore was founded in Atalanti and in 1862 the Church of the Transfiguration of Jesus was finished. In 1860 7 large fountains were built in the neighborhoods of Atalanti and New Pella.
In 1864 begun the annual trade "Fair" of Atalanti which lasts from the 6th to 10 August, until nowadays.
In 1871 the road between Atalanti and Scala is constructed. In 1873 a branch of National Bank of Greece was founded. The "Revolution of Litochoro" (Revolution of Olympus) in 1878, was led by the Macedonian Kosmas Doumpiotis, who had by his side several fellow volunteers from New Pella Atalanti.
In 1885 oil lamps for lighting the city were installed and an aqueduct is built.
Nicholas K. Abraham was born in 1888 in New Pella. He served as a Minister of Justice and Maritime Affairs.
The earthquake of 1894 caused major damages throughout Locris. 255 people were killed and 3,783 houses were totally collapsed.
At the time sericulture was at its peak in many households in Atalanti.
In 1895 the "Locris Gymnastics Club of Atalanti» was founded, one of the first clubs in the country and also one of the 28 clubs that founded the S.E.A.G.S. later S.E.G.A.S.
Nicholas Doumpiotis (born in 1866 in New Pella) participated in the Macedonian War (1904–1908) as an officer under the nickname "Captain Amyntas."
In 1912 the municipalities of Atalanti and New Pella are abolished and they become communities. The first car appears in Atalanti in 1915.
In March 1913, Greek villagers from Thrace were forced to leave. The people from Plavou did not feel safe to stay here any longer and decided to go on to Turkish territory. Without any property, came to Greece. Some stayed in Athens others went to the area of Lamia (Kostalexi, Stavros, Roditsa) and most of them went to Atalanti.
The flu of 1918 sowed death in the city. Residents asked for the grace of the saints Agioi Anargyroi (Cosmas and Damianos) and brought their orthodox icon in Atalanti on 12 November.
Between 1912 and 1922 63 soldiers from Atalanti were lost in the wars (First and Second Balkan War, First World War and Asia Minor campaign).
After the Asia Minor Disaster in 1922, 218 individuals arrived in Atalanti. In 1931 settlements defined that 30 acres of land in the Atalanti area could be used by the refugees. This area of Atalanti was named, Sinikismos. In 1926 a refugee organization was founded "Refugee Association of Atalanti and Suburbs" with main objectives to claim damages, to issue refugee identity, to help in finding jobs and to support them in general.
Agricultural machinery in Atalanti, 1937
In 1975 the Association “Aghia Sophia” of Asia Minor Refugees in Sinikismos was founded in order to preserve and spread the culture of the refugees.
In 1923 the Commercial Club was founded in Atalanti. In 1927 the Agricultural Credit Cooperative and the Mandolinata were established and a branch of Bank of Athens starts to operate within the city. Also the first mill began its function.
Gymnastics Club "Ajax the Locrian" (in Greek: Αίαντας ο Λοκρός) was founded in 1928 ( football and track and field).
Also the Union of Atalanti "Melissa" begins the reforestation of mountain Roda. A powerhouse starts to work and that contributes to the electrification of households in the city. Vasilios A. Kokkinos was born in Ano Pella in Atalanti in 1929. He later served as president of the Supreme Court (1990–1996). In 1931, the Association of New Pella «Alexander the Great" was founded and the football club "Olympiakos Atalanti FC ". That same year the sports club "Ajax the Locrian" successfully organized a local athletic event in Atalanti.
The Primary School for Boys and Girls that later was used as the 1st Elementary School in Atalanti was built in 1932. In 1933 the scouts group was founded.
Siblings Charilaos, Demosthenes and George Constantinou, from Atalanti establish the tobacco industry Santé in Athens.
The Music Society of Atalanti "Orpheus" was founded in 1935. In 1936, the sports association "The Union" was established. In 1937 a branch of the Agricultural Bank of Greece opened in Atalanti. In 1938 the Chorus of Atalanti made the first appearance. In 1939 the Union of Agricultural Cooperatives in Atalanti was founded.
On April 20, 1941 the German air force (Luftwaffe) bombed Atalanti causing only damages to buildings and on April 25, 1941 the German army occupied Atalanti. The "White Cross of Atalanti" was founded in 1943, in order to help, all those were in need.
The funeral of the executed civiliants of Atalanti in March 1943
On March 23, 1943 the Italian occupation forces leave the city. On May 29, 1943, Italians lead to the firing squad nine residents of Atalanti. The Germans took the place of Italians, who withdrew from Atalanti in October 1944.
Due to the peculiar soil and the weakness of the Greek state to support the people from Evrytania after the liberation of 1944 they began to leave their homeland and moved to the surrounding plains like the one in Atalanti and the rest urban centers around them. That lasted from 1945 and up until 1987. Also the earthquake that took place at Vracha with the magnitude of 6.2 on Richter scale on 5.2.1966 was also the cause of their relocation again in Atalanti.
During the Greek Civil War (1946–1949), several - mostly young aged people- were found in two conflicting camps, the National Army (Greek governmental army) and the Democratic Army of Greece(DSE or Greek initials ΔΣΕ). Eight soldiers of the National Army were killed and an unknown number of fighters of DSE were also dead.
In the decade of 1950, the local elections were carried out after 16 years (in 1951), the water supply system of the city was installed (in 1953), the current city plan of Atalanti was adopted (in 1954) and the Bank Holiday of Sunday was established from the Commercial Union (in 1957).
In the next decade: the first kindergarten (1963) and the Municipal Library of Atalanti (1965) were founded, a branch of Emporiki Bank opened and the Educational, Cultural and Entertainment Association "Proodos” (“The Progress") was established (1966).
Olympiakos FC and Ajax the Locrian FC, on a friendly match in the 1950s
The football Club "ATALANTI" was created in 1968 by the merger of the two clubs of the city (Ajax and Olympiakos Atalanti FC). The military dictatorship (1967–1974) ceases the City Boards and the Cooperative Societies. During this period, the City Hall, the high school, the kindergarten  and the "National Stadium" of Atalanti were built.
During the Turkish invasion in Cyprus (20–21 July 1974) the soldier Christos L. Ligdis was killed.
In 1976 the "Constantinian Cultural Center of Atalanti" was built, and in 1979 the Technical High School was founded.
In 1980 the "Sports Mountaineering Association Locros" was founded, which in 1992 was renamed in Sports Association "Locros" with more sports.
Atalanti Gymnasium (Capacity:1.100 seats)
In 1982 the Nautical Club of Atalanti was founded, in 1985 the Municipal Conservatory was established, in 1988 the municipal fish farm in the Bay of Atalanti was created and in 1989 the gymnasium of the town (capacity:1,100 seats) was built. The same year the "History and Folklore Research of Atalanti Company" was also founded.
In 1992 the Athletic Football Club "Atalanti 92" was founded and the first radio station in town was on air.
Since 1993 economic migrants from Balkan countries (Albania, Bulgaria, Romania), central Europe (Poland) and Asia (Pakistan, India, China) begin to settle in town permanently or temporarily.
In 1998 the Archaeological Museum of Atalanti opened and the "Aianteios Municipal Theatre" began operating.
In 2010 the City of Atalanti under the Kallikratis plan, joined with the municipalities of Malesina, Opountia and Dafnousia and form the municipality of Locris (or municipality Lokroi). The seat of the municipality became town of Atalanti.
Tourism - Sightseeing - Cultural Activities
Among other Points of Interest of the region are: The catacomb of St. Athanasius or "Chamaithanasis" in the center of town is a Roman crypt. It is said that during the Turkish occupation it was used as a secret school (Krifo scholio). In the background of the catacomb there is the St. Athanasius Church.
The church of St. Seraphim is located in the forest above the town of Atalanti.
The monastery of St. Anargiri, built in the 17th century, located in the main road from Atalanti to Kirtoni.
The chapel of St. John the Roda, built in a location on the top of mountain Roda.
Arcaiological finds in Atalanti's Museum
The archaeological museum of Atalanti was inaugurated in the summer of 1998 by the City of Atalanti, the 14th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities at the expense of the municipality of Atalanti, the Hellenic Ministry of Culture and some other donors. It is a relatively small but a very important premise as it is a neoclassical building which it used to be the old high school in the area. The exhibits came from the region of Locris and they are divided according to chronological and thematic sections that they cover the prehistoric and historic period up until Roman times. In the museum and at the museum's courtyard visitors can see tombstones, pottery for everyday use, tools, jewelry, idols, etc.
Just 6 km from Atalanti and by the sea is the port of Skala Atalanti, with many fish restaurants, cafes and bars. Skala is one of the most beautiful sandy beaches in Locris. It is the main beach of Atalanti and is located just 6 km from the city. The beach is relatively long and wide and well organized. Also along the beach there are playgrounds and a beach volley and a tennis court. It even has water sports. The beach is full of restaurants. It is important to mention that in Skala is located the port authority. In the area there are the churches of Analipsi and of Panagia. The beach of Skala from 1980's until today receives the Blue Flag.
The Atalanti lagoon is located south of the bay of Atalanti. It is a shallow coastal lagoon that is separated from the sea with a dividing strip and communicates with it through an opening.
The Council of Atalanti in cooperation with local cultural institutions of the city hold many cultural events:
This custom holds from around the late 1970s. With that begins the Pre-Lenten Season and cultural clubs of the city host carnival dances for all ages. In older times people used to masquerade and pay visits to friendly homes asking them the classic game of "guess who I am." The main parade consists of hiker groups and floats that satirize current issues and affairs. Schools, clubs and many volunteers are participating. The feast takes place in the town's main street. They pass through as the crowds’ cheers them. At the end in the central square the traditional burning of the carnival takes place. Before that, dancing and singing around the "gaitanaki” are happening. On the next day of the carnival, (“Kathara Deftera”) everybody heads to the beach of Skala. There is celebrated the well-known Lent. The City of Atalanti has established this day each year and offers its guests traditional soup, Lent meals, wine and halva (a traditional sweet). Young and older people try to fly as high as they can their kites.
Each fall, after the grape harvest the "wine festival" takes place. It is a fiesta with no specific date but has been established since 1996 by the City of Atalanti. The area has a big tradition in wine production. Two places of the valley are named Kato and Pano Ampelia (vines). The feast takes place in the central square. Traditional music and food prevail and visitors can drink wine for free. The wine is an offer of local wine producers.
Every July the traditional feast of sardines takes place. It is also a fiesta without a specific date. The festival is happening in Skala of Atalanti. The City of Atalanti in collaboration with the cultural associations of Scala organize a great feast where sardines, wine, salad and bread are served to guests for free. The feast is accompanied by traditional bands that play music.
Choral Festival of Atalanti
The Choral Festival of Atalanti started in the early 1980s and continues to this day. In 2011 completed 30 years of continuous activity. Until 1996 the festival took place at the main square of the city but since 1997 and until now the festival is organized in the Aianteio Municipal Theatre of Atalanti. It is carried out always in June but not in a certain date. Besides the locals choirs “Armonia” (Harmony), "Proodos" (Progress), and the Chorus of Atalanti, at the festival also participate choirs from all over Greece and abroad.
Annual trade fair
On the 6 each August the Transfiguration of Christ, is celebrated for six days with a trade fair in Atalanti. It is otherwise called "Pazaria" (Bazaar). This celebration started in the 18th century and originally was a cattle market. As society was evolving it became a trade fair. In the center Atalanti retailers gather from different regions of the country and sell their commodities. They also offer evenings with traditional music instruments in the town square and in shops where you can eat and drink.
List of settlements in Phthiotis
Dakoronia F. Kotoulas D., Baltas E. Tolias B Sythiakakis B. "Locris - History & Culture." Publisher: Hatzimichalis Estate(In Greek)
Efstathios Kaklamanos El. 1980. "Atalanti 1800-1828." Thessaloniki: Publications Dioscuri. (In Greek)
Karastathis Costas B. 2001. "The Passion of the greek genus." Athens. Publisher: Tinos.(In Greek)
Constantinio Cultural Center of Atalanti. 2011. "Atalanti" - Historical Photographs. Athens 2011. Publications: Bartzoulianos (In Greek)
"Chronicles of Locris". 1995. Athens: Annual Publication of Historical and Folklore Society Research of Atalanti (E.I.L.E.A.). Volume and Year 1. (In Greek)
"Chronicles of Locris". 1997. Athens: Annual Publication of Historical and Folklore Society Research of Atalanti (E.I.L.E.A.). Volume and Year 3.(In Greek)
Mavinidis C. "The people from Plavou and their village".(In Greek)
Magazine "Apoplous." Issue 1. 2002. Edition Musical Cultural Association "Chorus of Atalanti." (In Greek)
Magazine "Apoplous." Issue 2. 2002. Edition Musical Cultural Association "Chorus of Atalanti."(In Greek)
Magazine "Apoplous." Issue 3-4. 2002. Edition Musical Cultural Association "Chorus of Atalanti."(In Greek)
Magazine "Apoplous." Issue 6. 2002. Edition Musical Cultural Association "Chorus of Atalanti."(In Greek)
Magazine "Apoplous." Issue. 38, 2009. Edition Musical Cultural Association "Chorus of Atalanti."(In Greek)
Protopapas Zissis. 1952. "Locris". Athens 1952. pp. 20–23 (In Greek)
Rizopoulos. N. 2005. "Atalanti - Brief Retrospective, Myths-History-Experiences-Memories." p. 29. (In Greek)
Theodore Tzoumekis. 1998. "Refugee Facilities in Fthiotida in the first half of the 20th century." Thessaloniki.(In Greek)
Christophorou K. Manthos 1991." Opountion Locris and Atalanti - Memories and testimonies." Part 1. Athens: Society for Historical and Folklore Research of Atalanti (E.I.L.E.A.). (In Greek)
Christophorou K. Manthos 1993." Opountion Locris and Atalanti - Memories and testimonies." Part 2. Athens: Society for Historical and Folklore Research of Atalanti (E.I.L.E.A.). (In Greek)
Christophorou K. Manthos 1995." Opountion Locris and Atalanti - Memories and testimonies." Part 3. Athens: Society for Historical and Folklore Research of Atalanti (E.I.L.E.A.).(In Greek)
Christophorou K. Manthos 2001. "Timeline for Opous and Atalanti A Summary of 4000 years." Edition City of Atalanti. (In Greek)
^ Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Interior (Greek)
^ The Barony of Atalanti became a famous feud by the noble Pedro Puig Pardines. Then it was built the tower "Koulia" in Atalanti (which was demolished in 1957) and probably the "Paliopyrgos" at the homonymous hill above the city. - Christophorou K. Manthos 2001. "Timeline for Opous and Atalanti A Summary of 4000 years.” Edition Municipality of Atalanti pg 13(in Greek)
^ "In the town of Atalanti, 32 Christian families are recorded who worked in the salt-pans" Dakoronia F. Kotoulas D., Baltas E. Tolias B Sythiakakis B. "Locris - History & Culture." Publisher: Hatzimichalis Estate p.155 (in Greek)
^ Dakoronia F. Kotoulas D., Baltas E. Tolias B Sythiakakis B. "Locris - History & Culture." Publisher: Hatzimichalis Estate p.155, (In Greek)
^ "23 families of Atalanti and then another 111 from Livadeia and Atalantι moved in the Peloponnese after the invitation of the Venetians." - Christophorou K. Manthos 2001. "Timeline for Opous and Atalanti. A Summary of 4000 years.” Edition City of Atalanti p.15 (in Greek)
^ William Martin Leake Travels in Northen Greece, vol. II, London 1835, pp. 171-172 - Reference to: Dakoronia F. Kotoulas D., Baltas E. Tolias B Sythiakakis B. "Locris - History & Culture." Publisher: Hatzimichalis Estate pg 184-185. (in Greek)
^ F. C. H. L. Pouqueville, Voyage de la Grèce, Deuxieme edition, Paris, 1826, vol. IV, p. 154. Reference to: Dakoronia F. Kotoulas D., Baltas E. Tolias B Sythiakakis B. "Locris - History & Culture." Publisher: Hatzimichalis Estate p.186. (in Greek)
^ Between the two travelers exists a controversy, as Leake says that the population of Atalanti has been declined because and the plague and the misrule of Velli, while Pouqueville claims that the population increased. Of course the first traveler visited himself the town while the second did not. - Dakoronia F. Kotoulas D., Baltas E. Tolias B Sythiakakis B. "Locris - History & Culture." Publisher: Hatzimichalis Estate pp. 186-187 (in Greek)
^ Christophorou K. Manthos 2001. "Timeline for Opous and Atalanti A Summary of 4000 years.” Edition City of Atalanti p.16 (in Greek)
^ According to other scholars, Gatsos and Karatassos were instructed by the government of I Kolletis to disembark in Atalantonisi and from there to proceed to Atalanti. But this was not possible due to a disagreement between the two. Rizopoulos. N. 2005. "Atalanti - Brief Retrospective, Myths-History-Experiences-Memories." p.29 (in Greek). Another view expressed by E. E.Kaklamanos who also stresses the controversy between Gatsos and Karatassos led only Gatsos and his men to disembark and to head to Talanti. Voutier took place on the hill of Profitis Elias with 200 men who had enlisted, while Karatassos and his men remained on board. The disengagement of Gatsos-that led to his salvation, was contributed by Karatassos (son of A. Karatassos) and Apostolaras with their men. Efstathios Kaklamanos El. 1980. "Atalanti 1800-1828." Thessaloniki: Publications Dioscuri.(in Greek)
^ Christophorou K. Manthos 2001. "Timeline for Opous and Atalanti A Summary of 4000 years.” Edition City of Atalanti p.23 (in Greek)
^ Donation of the homogenous from the USA D. A. Soultanopoulos and was named "Soultanopouleion" - Christophorou K. Manthos 2001. "Timeline for Opous and Atalanti A Summary of 4000 years.” Edition City of Atalanti p.30, in Greek.
^ "Demosthenes Constantinou bequeathed to the municipality of Atalanti 5 million drachmas for the construction of medical facilities ... Instead " Christophorou K. Manthos 2001. "Timeline for Opous and Atalanti A Summary of 4000 years.” Edition City of Atalanti p.30
Atalanti (municipality) on GTP Travel Pages (in English and Greek)
Atalanti (community) on GTP Travel Pages (in English and Greek)
Municipalities and communities of the Phthiotis (Fhtiotis) Prefecture
Agios Georgios Tymfristou | Agios Konstantinos | Amfikleia | Atalanti | Dafnousia | Domokos | Echinaioi | Elateia | Gorgopotamos | Kamena Vourla | Lamia | Leianokladi | Makrakomi | Malesina | Molos | Opountia| Pelasgia | Spercheiada | Stylida | Thessaliotida | Tithorea | Xyniada | Ypati
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License