Argyro Pigadi (Greek: Αργυρό Πηγάδι, before 1928: Γκερτοβός - Gertovos) is a village in the municipality of Thermo, western Greece, in the region of Oreini Trichonida. The village is located near the second highest peak of the Panaitoliko mountain range, Triantafyllia. Nearby villages include Amvrakia, Nerochori, Kokkinovrysi, and Kastania. The name Argyro Pigadi means Silver Well, a reference to the abundance of water in the region.
The post-Byzantine church of Agios Georgios is located within the village boundaries. The church is dedicated to a saint, Agios Georgios Neomartyras, who lived in Ioannina during the mid-19th century. The church was consecrated in 1847 and has been maintained largely through the efforts of village residents.
Although the population of the village has declined significantly in the last 30 years, as people relocated to urban centers, an association of people with roots in Argyro Pigadi was established in 1971. The association edits a newspaper, To Gramma Mas, which is distributed four times a year to members and also holds annual meetings during which time members discuss village maintenance and establish priorities for the upcoming year. The association is also responsible for the organization of the annual Panegyri celebration held in the village in August and three winter celebrations held in Agrinio, Athens, and Kiato.
^ Name changes of settlements in Greece
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License