Ano Lechonia (Greek: Άνω Λεχώνια) is a town in the Magnesia regional unit, Greece. Ano Lechonia was the seat of the former municipality of Artemida. The population of the village in 2001 was 1,220, the population of the community (including the coast village Platinidia) was 1,439. Ano Lechonia is situated in the northwestern part of the Pelion peninsula, 1.5 km from the Pagasetic Gulf coast, 3 km southwest of Agios Georgios Nileias, 4 km southeast of Agria and 11 km (7 mi) southeast of Volos.
Year Town population Municipal district population
1981 1,335 -
1991 1,224 -
2001 1,220 1,439
The name Lechonia may come from the Slavic word lech meaning "field". Historians say it was the ancient city Methone.[CN] At the hill named Nevestiki the ruins of an ancient wall have been found. The residents of Methone supported the Argonauts with ships.
After 4 centuries of Ottoman rule, Ano Lechonia became part of Greece in 1881, as a consequence of the transfer of Thessaly to Greece following the Treaty of Berlin (1878). It was connected by a railway to Volos in 1895.
View of the railway station.
List of settlements in the Magnesia prefecture
Ano Lechonia on GTP Travel Pages
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License