Alestaina (Greek: Αλέσταινα) is a village in the municipal unit of Aroania, Achaea, Greece. As of 2001, it had a population of 27 for the village. The village is situated in the mountainous area.
Aroania (town), east
Location and transportation
Alestaina is located 17 km from Psofida, south of Patras, southwest of Kalavryta, west-northwest of Tripoli and northeast of Olympia and Pyrgos.
Alestena was ruled by the Ottoman Turks with the exception from 1681 until 1715 with the last of the Venetian rule. Alestena finally became a part of Greece after the Greek War of Independence.
After World War II and the Greek Civil War, its buildings were rebuilt and emigration occurred at a higher rate until 1981 through to 1991, when the population decreased by half between 1981 and 1991. Alestena became connected with asphalt in the 1960smid to late 20th century. more pavement was available in recent years. Electricity, radio and automobiles were introduced in the mid-20th century, television in the late-20th century and computer and internet at the turn of the millennium. In 1997, the ex-community (now a village and a municipal district) joined to become the newly formed municipality of Aroania. Like a few villages in the country, its population was unchanged between 1991 and 2001.
Today, it is a village with a few inhabitants, it is populated during the summer months. The population depends on olive productions.
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
From Wikipedia, All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License