Agia Varvara (Greek: Αγία Βαρβάρα) is a small village in the municipal unit of Akrata, Achaea, Greece. Its 2001 population was 279 for the village and 312 for the municipal district. It is built on the slopes of Mount Chelmos (Aroania) and are filled with pines and fir trees including the Greek fir.
Year Population Change
1981 117 -
1991 175 +58 or +49.57%
2001 279 +104 or +59.43%
Location and transportation
Agia Varvara is located 30 km south of Akrata, west of Xylokastro and Corinth, east of Kalavryta, about 95 to 100 to 100 km east-southeast of Patras and about 60 km southeast of Aigio. It is founded near the Kalavryta Ski Centre, Ydata Stygos which is 6 km and Lake Tsivlou which is 7 km.
Its geography consists of forests and grasslands, the forests covers much of the area with some grasslands, barren land are to the higher elevations. Farmlands are within the village.
Agia Varvara was ruled by the Ottoman Turks with the exception from 1681 until 1715 with the last of the Venetian rule, it became a part of Greece after the Greek War of Independence. From the early days of the country until 1912, Agia Varvara constituted a part of the municipality of Nonakrida. It adopted its current name in the early 20th century in order to no longer remind of a name during the Turkish rule. After World War II and the Greek Civil War, its buildings were rebuilt and emigration occurred at a higher rate and emigration will be to the lowest, the population lost by 40% between 1981 and 1991 and recovered between 1991 until 2001. Agia Varvara became connected with asphalt in the 1960s. More pavement was accessed in the late 20th century. Electricity, radio and automobiles were introduced in the mid-20th century, television in the late-20th century and computer and internet at the turn of the millennium. In the late-1990s, the ex-community (now a village) joined to become the newly formed municipality of Akrata.
Its main economy is agriculture, its main production includes olives, cattle, fruits, vegetables and other crops.
List of places in the Achaia prefecture
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
From Wikipedia, All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License