Agia Anna (Greek: Αγία Άννα meaning Saint Anne) is a village in Greece in the municipal unit of Oleni. Its 2001 population was 413 for the village. Agia Anna is built on the slopes of the Axofolia (Αξοφωλιάς) hill in the Foloi mountains with a view mainly to the west. It is built amphitheatrically.
Agia Anna is located near Karatoula, south of Patras, north-northwest of Olympia, about 25 to 30 km northeast of Pyrgos and about 25 to 30 km east-southeast of Amaliada.
Agia Anna is located on a mountain range that extends from Katakolo to southwestern Lasiona. Much of the area are forested to the west and the east, farmlands are within the village area and some valleys.
The village dates back to the Ottoman times which had a leader of the inhabitants of that time, they hide from the Turks. In the Lakkes location between Pefki and Akropotamia, it was built on the first village by its church and monastery, it is presently west.
Later, the village fled along with from the Turkish crowd other than the cold route during the winter months, but the place was widely opened and the ederne, the air. The name of the village is named after its church. In 1840, Ilia from King Otto divided into eight municipalities in which the historian Georgios Papandreou in Ilia During The Middle Of The Century, Agia Anna was part of the municipality of Lampeia with the area of Divri. Along with the same historic sourge Elis during the ancient times consists of three large sections, the Hollow Elis, Pisatis and Triphylia.
Agia Anna belonged to the Hollow Elis together with several villages which was part of the then larger municipality of Lampeia (Koumani, Giarmena, Androni (Ανδρώνι), Kleintia, Pefki, the mountainous villages of the municipality of Lampeia belonged to the area of the Arcadian city of Psofida. The Hollow Elis that was written by G. Papandreou The same (of which the field was told) as of the plain and the mountains of the same as Akroreia which means the mountainous villages (high mountains) and paid off in which with Foleas down a part of the municipality of Lampeia. In Akroreia belonged together with Agia Anna. In 1912, Agia Anna with the Kapodistria became a part of the community of Benteni. In 1913, Bendeni split into nine separated communities until 1999 under the Capodistria plan. Agia Anna became a part of the municipality of Oleni. In the village square, the elevation is 450 m, the right part reaches 590 m and at the top of the hill is the Ailia around 600 – 650 m) (which supersedes the entire Axofolias hill).
Its residents began as traders as nomadic rurals were fugitives in the end, from the areas of Achaia, Arcadia, Etoloakarnania and other parts of the mountainous Ilia.
The village was devastated by the country's enormous fires that ever recorded in the history. On Sunday August 26, 2007, farmlands, buildings, groves and forests were burnt and a large portion of its forests were burnt. The fire did not spread to the northern portion which rarely affected its area. The fire lasted into Monday and Tuesday and continued for several hours, all of its services including firefighters, choppers and planes did its effort. Its groves were planted on January 2008, earlier than its planting season along with the rest of the prefecture.
List of places in the Ilia prefecture
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License