The Benedictine monk Adalpertus from the monastery of St. Emmeram in Regensburg is one of the few illuminators of the Middle Ages, which have become known by name because he received around the year 1000 the order for the Codex so-called Aureus of St. Emmeram, a Carolingian magnificent manuscript, the is now preserved in the Bavarian State Library in Munich (Clm 14000, cim. 55) to restore. Arnulf of Carinthia donated to the monastery 893 a Book of the Gospels, whose abbot Ramwoldus - also Ramoald (Dept. 975-1001) - ordered Adalpertus its revision .
He added as a work in a page with the image of his client surrounded by the four evangelists. On the page, the precious colors purple and gold dominate , the ornamental design reveals an active school of painting.